Friday, August 12, 2005

Collision in the Outfield

It sounded really bad when I heard it driving home yesterday. It looked even worse when I watched it last night and again repeatedly this morning. New York Mets center fielder Carlos Beltran and right fielder Mike Cameron had one of the ugliest collisions you can have in any sport – head to head at full speed with both guys diving into one another.

Cameron came away much worse. He sustained a broken nose, multiple fractures to both of his cheekbones and a slight concussion. He underwent two CT scans and spent last night in San Diego’s Mercy Hospital. Beltran was examined by the Padres' doctor at the stadium somehow came away without any serious injuries. He did have a sore shoulder and a cut near his left temple but that paled in comparison to his teammate. He was taken to Scripps Clinic where he stayed overnight for evaluation and will undergo more tests today.

The game was delayed for about 13 minutes after the nasty collision and Cameron lay on the field barely moving while being tended to by trainers from both teams. Cameron was then put onto a stretcher by paramedics, immobilized and put into a neck brace and lifted onto a small riding cart and driven off the field.

I don’t wish that type of head-on collision on anyone – it was as nasty as they come. I heard it on XM Satellite radio via the San Diego announcers who were in shock. I was also talking to my Mom who was watching the game who immediately knew it was bad. Having been drowned with baseball most of her life because of my Dad and my obsession of the sport she is also a fan and actually started yelling before they even collided seeing that it was about to happen. A good friend of mine called a few minutes later to ask if I was watching it – it was just a terrible situation.

Cameron was placed on the 15-day disabled list last night and will probably be out longer than that. It wouldn’t surprise me if he doesn’t play again until after Labor Day. Hopefully, Carlos will only need a few days before coming back to play.

If you haven’t seen it – brace yourself…it was bad.


"I don't remember anything of what happened. I don't remember how it happened. I know we got hit. I feel like I got hit by a train." - Carlos Beltran

1 Comments:

At 8/12/2005 11:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice blogpage. I just came across it today but will come back.
I saw the replay of this collision on ESPN last night, ouch. Hopefully Mike Cameron won't have permanent damage to where he can't perform at a high level again.

-DMJ

 

Post a Comment

<< Home