Tuesday, July 19, 2005

New Champ

I was out of commission over the weekend…playing a dual role down in West Palm Beach, Florida - standing as a groomsman in a long time friends wedding and hanging out with my four little cousins.

There was very little sports time for me…and I really enjoyed that. But what a weekend to miss…Tiger Woods wins the British Open, the Yankees take three of four from the falling BoSox and Jermain Taylor upsets Bernard Hopkins to become the Middleweight Champion.
Repeat: Jermain Taylor upsets Bernard Hopkins to become the Middleweight Champion.

I knew they were fighting (who didn’t?) but wasn’t very interested in seeing it…I thought for sure that B-Hop “The Executioner” would beat him pretty good and that I would just watch the replay of the fight on HBO this coming weekend. Wow – I was wrong huh?

From what I’ve been told by three good friends who love boxing…
Hopkins did very little in the first half of the fight and then dominated the late rounds. That left Hopkins with a huge hole he couldn’t climb out of. A slit decision loss for one of the greatest champions in boxing history… Hopkins' incredible streak of 20 consecutive title defenses (middleweight division record) and a 12-year unbeaten streak came to an end. Jermain Taylor improves to 24-0 and Hopkins falls to 46-3-1. A rematch has already been negotiated and will take place this fall.

I’m surprised but know that every champion one day sees the end…we’ll see if Hopkins can take back his title or if this indeed is his end.

2 Comments:

At 7/19/2005 12:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I can't believe it finally happened...I remember watching the last time Hopkins lost to the great Roy Jones, Jr.

 
At 7/19/2005 2:57 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unbelievable, someone told me the champ did enough damage control in the later rounds to keep his title. Cann't believe I was sleep during the fight as well but will be there to watch the champ reclaim his crown in Oct. mark my words.

RFD Sr.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home