Tuesday, November 01, 2005

Theo Says See-Ya to Boston...Next Stop Nobody Knows

What to do? Ok, so I didn’t graduate from Yale and I didn’t become the youngest General Manager to win the World Series (yet), but if I was in Theo Epstein’s shoes – things would’ve been very different.

We all know that he was born and raised in New England and is a lifelong BoSox fan. He started out as the Assistant GM before getting hired when Billy Beane turned down the opportunity three years ago. Theo was young and had a few things going for him…The Red Sox were willing to spend and he didn’t have much to lose. And that’s precisely how he commanded the Sox over his three-year reign, making big, bold trades and spending big bucks.

But Theo had a chance to stay in Beantown for the next three years making a total of $4.5 million dollars and he walked away from it. If it were me with my beloved Mets, that money would’ve been just good enough. The chance to keep the winning ways of your favorite team going, while getting great seats to every game and that kind of money? Wow. I would be beside myself. I probably would ask if they would add a fourth year and bump the total salary to an even $5 million.

Not Theo. He’s going to do ‘other’ things. Maybe even walking away from baseball at the tender age of 31.

If he decides to stay in baseball – and wants a job this season (2006) there are three teams that should have already requested a chance to talk to him…the Phillies, Dodgers and Devil Rays. The Phillies and Dodgers both have nice sized payrolls, in the top tier in baseball. He could help return the Dodgers to past glory and might be the right guy to make some big deals to put Philadelphia over the top. The Devil Rays is an interesting one. Theo could be at the front of the up-and-coming Tampa Bay team battling with both the Red Sox and Yankees. Nice, warm weather and Epstein could fit right in with the other young execs in the Devil Rays' new front office. I doubt they’d give him the cash that the BoSox tried or what the Phillies and Dodgers could – but it would be tempting…for me anyway.

Again, if it was me – I would’ve stayed. Since he didn’t, those are the three teams that I would have my eyes all over. And if none of them meet his fancy, maybe he’ll take a year off and get back into things for the 2007 season. At just 31 years old, wouldn’t millions love to be in Theo’s shoes? I know I would.

5 Comments:

At 11/01/2005 11:12 AM, Blogger P V R said...

I think he is going to sit home, eat cheetos and watch the Price is Right. At least that's what I would do if I were in his shoes.

 
At 11/01/2005 4:21 PM, Blogger rblake said...

Theo by friend - Come to Philly. We still don't know if you are worth a shit, considering you have had all the resources over the past few years in Boston....But remember, you couldn't land A-Rod and you failed to dump Manny for about 4 years in a row. Oh yeah, you were unable to retain any top pitching???? I don't think anyone likes to play in Boston. Not Nomar, Manny, or Pedro - Now, Theo doesn't even want to be in Boston....

My guess - Theo wanted more control on Player acquisitions, which the b-town A-holes failed to pony-up.....Now, Theo can go to a shitty team and have all the control for player acquisitions - BUT NO CASH TO PAY FOR THEM.....Hey Theo - LIFE IS A BITCH - You can't have your Cake and eat it To!

So your gonna be a devil-ray! good-foryou.....please remember D-Rays suck ass and so do you!!!!!

GO fuck yourself you 31 year old spoiled brat

PS - Boston Rednecks are gonna suck next year....

 
At 11/02/2005 9:44 AM, Blogger rblake said...

Theo might be coming to DC????? while the phillies were able to score a winner in Pat Gillick. It doen't appear Theo has too many options this year. LA - no way! that leaves a spot right here in your nations capital!!!!

it's either DC or touring with pearl jam....

 
At 11/02/2005 1:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

pay attention to the news------gillick noty epstein-- great article --little disappointed you are not stayting up to the minute---because i know you didn't go to bed at 9:00 last night---- by the way blank is gay

 
At 11/02/2005 1:32 PM, Blogger rblake said...

Hey anonymous - my Theo to philly posting was yesterday at 4:30 pm - Prior to the Philly hiring Gillick......So go Eat A TUrd...you big turd eater!!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home